Thursday, March 31, 2011

End of month view - March

The cherry blossom is full-out and blue skies have arrived, as March draws to a close here on the west coast.

The front border is filling out nicely with leaves on the bonica roses, daffodils, anemones...

...heather, and myosotis (yes it appears that I forgot to move the forget-me-nots!)  There is still far too much sedum acre, and sea thrift (digging those up is also a work in progress), but I have been quite pleased with how the border is shaping up this early in the year.   N.C. and I have been busy ammending the soil (we have heavy clay which has become quite compacted over time), and 2 varieties of oriental lily have been planted - Casablanca and Stargazer (the latter a freebie at one of our local garden centres).

The climbing rose Tropicana has been planted against the arch.  I plan to add Golden Showers to the other side, hopefully creating a mass of rose blooms over the arch, leading to the breezeway and pergola.  Two grape cultivers are slowly being encouraged to spread over the pergola frame to provide some shade (and grapes!)   This leads to the woodland garden and koi pond.

Back to the front border - various colour combinations of daffodils and narcissus (planted over the years by my mother) are now in full bloom.  Unfortunately, we discovered that one of our three cats appears to enjoy them as much as we do - and has been curling up for a nap in the middle of the clump which now resembles a giant bird's nest.

This final view shows the koi pond looking south towards the woodland garden.  Today, for the first time this season, we were able to feed the fish.  They have been sheltering under the rocks and pavers all winter - safe from the cold water at the surface as well as any hungry raccoons, herons, or cats.  In fact, for a while - we weren't sure they were there - so effectively were they hidden!  As the days grow longer and the weather warmer, the koi and pond goldfish are waking up from their winter hibernation.  The koi pond was our garden project last year, and I'm amazed how quickly the area surrounding the pond is returning to its natural woodland beauty.  We have planted a few grasses and spring bulbs, but it is nature that is responsible for this part of the garden.

5 comments:

  1. really interesting to see your garden. I love it when people from other countries join in as it nice to compare what is growing where

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your climate seems very similar to ours, or at least, our anenomes are flowering at the same time. Your pond is beautiful, glad your fish survived winter OK. The cats sitting in the middle of the daffs would upset me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your garden, and wonderful clear photos. My father lives in Dunderave, West Vancouver and often says that the climate is similar to ours.

    I am glad you left a comment on my blog, otherwise I would not have found yours - thank you. I will visit you often. Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen - I agree. Love viewing all the different gardens in various parts. Thanks so much for hosting.

    Janet - I'm not sure if the hardiness zones here are the same as in the U.K. We are considered to be zone 8, although after this chilly spring I'm not so sure... I've learned to be pretty forgiving re. our dogs and cats in the garden (it's amazing how things bounce back anyways!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - thank you for your comment on my blog about Singleton Park. THis is one of the things I love about blogging, when someone across the globe has shared memories of places I know. I nearly wrote on that blog about borrowing dogs from the RSPCA home in the park. If I remember right you weren't supposed to let them off the lead or out of the park but we used to take them down to the beach and let them run. There is no way that kids would be allowed to do this now (Health and Safety rules galore!). My brother was also at Bishop Gore.

    Love your cherry blossom. One of our cats used to love to sleep in the middle of my raised herb bed crushing the herbs. I replanted it so there was a nice cat nest space in the middle for him but he immediately moved to sleeping in the middle of the scented bed instead crushing that. Very contrary creatures cats!

    ReplyDelete