Monday, February 28, 2011

End of month view - February

 Following this January's wet, mild weather and February's contribution of bitter cold with gale force winds and a dusting of snow - I expected our front border to be somewhat the worse for wear.  Fortunately, most of the existing plants seem to have escaped harm (although my lovely hellebore was flattened), and the spring bulbs (namely miniature daffodills and crocus are now putting on a lovely show. 
This is the time of year, when I find myself yearning for warmer days, and glorious sunshine - planting out weather,  However, it is much too soon (and damp) for that - so I contented myself instead with the placement of two wrought iron decorative supports, which will later contain a somewhat uncontrollable rambling rose, and a "Bishop of Canterbury" dahlia.
Meanwhile,  seeding is going well indoors (under the floralight)  aided by the welcome placement of a forced-air heating vent which warms things up nicely



First leaves on the bonica roses - a sure sign of spring.
  
The breezeway will soon be home to a fabulous climbing rose, and maybe a clematis on the other side (I'm looking into the new Vancouver cultiver at this time). The breezeway was constructed last year in memory of my father's cedar arch - which provided many years of pleasure for us all - and support for winter jasmine, California lilac, and of course, a clematis.  Sadly, the cedar arch blew down in a terrible gale the same year my father passed away (2006).  The present breezeway frames the entrance into the side garden including the patio and  koi pond.  The woodland garden stretches out beyond that.

This final view of the front border shows the breezeway on the left, an English lavender bush, roses, bulbs, sea thrift, heather, and some other miscellaneous plants (including forget-me-nots and sedum acre which must eventually be moved).  N.C. and I are slowly improving the soil - adding a mixture of compost and top soil to areas which were disturbed when the irrigation system was dug in (everything slopes a bit now).  The garden is still looking quite bare and winter-like, but showing definite promise of things to come. 

4 comments:

  1. You have some very lovely hardscape! I can just imagine what your breezeway will look like all covered in rose and clematis. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining in. I think we are all waiting in anticipation for plants to start emerging. I love your breezeway, its not a term we use here in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definite signs of new growth, wonderful. I'm with Helen, love the term "breezeway", and the arch looks lovely. Can't wait to see it covered in climbers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to everyone for the kind comments - I'm so looking forward to seeing how the garden looks once the climbing roses are planted and start to cover the arch and pergola. I think I used the term "breezeway" somewhat loosely - as(according to google) it is supposed to refer to "a hallway that allows the passage of a breeze between structures to accommodate high winds, allow aeration, or provide aesthetic design variation". My slightly overactive imagination pictured the whole breezeway thing as a link between garden rooms! Not sure it fits exactly, but it's the term that's stuck with me - and we've certainly had the high winds lately!

    ReplyDelete